I’ve been flying for a year, and I’ve always packed my food pretty well. But, as of March 1st, I’m working my first line ever! For those of you who are unfamiliar with aviation lingo, that means that I am no longer working on an on-call basis, as I have a predetermined schedule to which I’ll abide for the month. This changes the game, big time, people! Now I know well in advance where I’ll be going and for how long I’ll be away. I know if any meals are provided in the hotels, or if there’s a favorite restaurant nearby that I want to visit. Most importantly, it means I have time to plan and prepare my meals ahead of time so I can eat like a bonafied tin can (airplane) QUEEN!
I took full advantage of the free day before my trip to cook up a storm, and I am so grateful now, as I happily–and healthily!–stuff my face in my layover hotel.
Healthy, hearty, well balanced menu for my four-day pairing (fancy flygirl speak for a trip).
•Spicy black bean and sweet potato rice bowls with jalapeño lime ranch.
•Moroccan carrot salad with dates and feta.
•Broccoli chicken mac n cheese.
•Hard boiled eggs
•Coconut almond overnight oats spiced with ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla, and honey.
•Cucumbers, blueberries, cilantro, apples, oranges, lemon, tortillas, red pepper dip, hummus, kombucha, tons of teas, and some soft licorice as a treat.
•Will be adding sliced turkey, chocolate chocolate muffin, cold brew coffees, and raw greens 🌱🥒🍏🦌
Sweet Potato Black Bean Bowls with Spicy Lime Ranch
- 3 or 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2-1 t. paprika
- salt to season
- 2 cans black beans + their cooking liquid
- 2 t. cumin
- 1 t. chili powder
- 2 t. lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, minced (membranes/seeds make it spicier, so remove depending on preference)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
rice ‘n’ thangs
- 3 c. cooked rice (I used multigrain, but you can use whatever you prefer, including quinoa)
- 1/3 c. pepitas
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- roughly chopped tomatoes
- 3/4 c. feta cheese
Spicy lime ranch
- 3/4 c. ranch dressing
- 1/4 c. pickled jalapeños, finely minced
- 2 t. lime juice
- 1/4 t. paprika
- (optional) 1-2 t. jalapeño juice, if you like your food to hurt a lil’ bit!
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss sweet potato cubes in olive oil, paprika, and salt. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper/silicone baking mat. Bake 35-40 min. Toss sweet potatoes half way through roasting. Set aside until ready to assemble. Cook your rice if you don’t have any already on hand.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, add beans, onions, garlic, cumin, chili powder, jalapeños, and cilantro to a medium pot over medium heat. Bring to soft boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until ready to assemble rice bowls.
- Combine ranch dressing, jalapeños (and jalapeño juice if you choose), lime juice, and paprika.
- Once ready to assemble, remove beans from heat. Add lime juice to beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble: Add rice, then beans with a slotted spoon, then sweet potatoes, then pepitas, feta, and dressing.