Happy Saint Patrick’s Day everyone! Celebrate the holiday with these boozy Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes! You can simplify the recipe by using a boxed dark chocolate cake mix and replacing the water with Guinness. You’re welcome.
BOOZY IRISH CAR BOMB CUPCAKES
Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 2 sticks butter (1 cup)
- 2 cups cake flour (9-1/4 ounces)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (7 ounces)
- 1 cup light brown sugar (7-3/4 ounces)
- 1 (12 oz.) bottle Guinness
- 3 eggs
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Jameson Chocolate Ganache Filling:
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 3 tablespoons Jameson Irish Whiskey
Bailey’s Irish Cream Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened (1/2 cup)
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 6 tablespoons Bailey’s Irish Cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Chocolate Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 1-dozen cupcake tins with cupcake papers. Melt the chocolate over a double boiler or in a microwave. Set aside and allow to cool for 15 minutes. While chocolate is cooling, mix together the flour and baking soda in a small bowl. In another small bowl, Guinness and vanilla. Set both bowls aside.
- Using a hand mixer, cream the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar together. Add the chocolate and the eggs, one at a time, and mix until incorporated. In three additions, add the flour and Guinness mixtures alternately until just combined. Divide between the cupcake tins and bake 20 to 25 minutes until a tester comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- Whiskey Ganache Filling: Using a double boiler, heat chocolate chips until melted and smooth, stirring and scraping bowl with silicone spatula. Remove from heat. Add butter and whiskey, and stir until combined.
- Bailey’s Cream Cheese Frosting: Add cream cheese, butter, confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla bean paste to a mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat until light and fluffy. Slowly pour in Bailey’s as you continue to beat the mixture until well incorporated.
- Assembly: Fill piping bag with whiskey ganache filling. Stick the tip into the center of the cooled cupcake and stuff with ganache. Simple! Pipe Bailey’s frosting in swirls over the tops of the cupcakes. Garnish with sprinkles or whatever fun toppings you like (I used pretty gold sugar crystals).
- Kiss your Irish neighbor and party on!